- Major Player in the National Economy, Engine for Poverty alleviation.
- According to Economic Survey of Pakistan 2017-18, Agriculture contributes about 24% to National GDP.
- Share of Livestock 56.8% to Agriculture.
- Share of Livestock 11.6% to National GDP.
- livestock is an integral part (30-40%) of livelihood of about 30 to 35 million rural farmers.
- Livestock recorded a growth of 3.76% compared to 2.99% period last year
To improve service delivery under this sector, the Government will seek to do the following: Increasing per animal productivity, via a number of measures including genetic improvement, cross breeding and compliance to international standards:
- Increasing the coverage and results of extension services
- Improving animal husbandry
- Improving regulation in livestock sector and the functioning of livestock markets, and focus on transformation of livestock business from subsistence to commercial ventures
- Developing and implementing a Livestock Export Strategy
- Providing nutritious food and improving the quality of semen
- Bringing livestock farmers into formal sector through collective services
- Adoption of modern techniques such as e-monitoring while encouraging farmers to use modern technology
Adoption of revolving fund measures to decrease reliance on the ‘gawala’ system
LIVESTOCK POPULATION, 2017-18
- COW = 146817